Monday, April 21, 2008

A Problem

Dear Reader,
I've got a problem. I bite my nails. But that's irrelevant. My actual problem is small, kind of. I would love to simply bare my soul to all of you, well, the three of you who know this exists, but I fear. I fear that I will reveal things I shouldn't. I fear that my readers will expand and somebody will read something about them. So what do I do? Do I go forth without any regard for anybody else, effectively turning this into a form of therapy? Or do I restrain my impulses and keep the majority of my personal life out of it? This serves nobody else but me, and perhaps you. I write here so I can hone my skills as a writer, but also in the hope that I will perhaps inspire somebody, or change something. It is for me, but others are affected. So what do I do?
I don't know and I ask you, all four of you, perhaps more, what I should do. So answer! Question! Comment! Sally forth and make contact!
Ready?
Set?
GO!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As the only one to comment thus far, I am commenting again.

The thing about blogspot is that it is completely public if you choose it to be. In fact, you actually have to go into the privacy settings to make it NOT show up in search engines. You can absolutely use this as a form of catharsis, but you have to know the possible consequences. Anyone can see what you write. However, there are privacy settings you can use that will limit who can and cannot see the blog. I'm not sure, but you might even be able to make it so no one (only you) can see it. So you can either say whatever you want publicly, or you can mess around with the privacy settings. Your call!

And as for the nail biting, I have absolutely no idea how to stop. I've probably been biting my nails since I was around 3, which kind of grosses me out a bit. Maybe it's time to change!

Dana said...

Hm tough question. I mean you could definitely do the privacy thing that rebecca suggested. See, I normally blog without regard, but I don't normally have bad or embarassing things to say- it's really just boring day-to-day stuff. No matter how much I would love to hear the juicy details of your life, I'd say keep anything you don't want everyone to know private.
I also love how the number of people reading your blog has increased from 3 at the beginning of the entry to 4 at the end.

Also, I think when I was little I tried to bite my nails because that's what everyone else was doing but it didn't really work for me. I bite my hangnails though when I don't have a nail clipper on me. But that usually ends up being more trouble than it's worth.

Anonymous said...

Heeeyyyy Rebecca, I've commented before... :P

I'm afraid I don't quite follow your list of fears... Do you fear making yourself vulnerable?? If so, to what?? Do you fear that you may let slip some dark about someone close to you and that upon them discovering that you had posted that they would never forgive you?? Or maybe it is a combination of the above issues?? I believe that your blog posts should be therapeutic, and restraining yourself on the basis that you may offend someone else obviates the original purpose. Go ahead, include parts of your life, and if you must refer to other people who may have put themselves in a compromising position, strip the references to his/her identity and the details of the event itself (essentially leaving only how it impacted you & your day). And don't forget to take the necessary precautions to protect yourself (like, duh!).

P.S. and taking advantage of privacy settings on blogspot can't hurt either ;)